Pages - Menu

27 January 2015

The Dharma Bums



I have gone back to the library way of life and loaned out some books by Bill Bryson and Jack Kerouac, two authors I have been wanting to read for quite a while now. I had my hopes held high for Bill as he is such a well respected travel writer however, when reading Summer of 67 I couldn't get into it and kind of just kicked it to one side. 

When I picked up The Dharma Bums I was drawn in immediately and never wanted to put the book down. Kerouac is a brilliant writer who manages to capture every single emotion with his words and make it resonate within you. The passion in one of the main characters, Japhy, just shines through throughout the entire novel. He is so wildly excited about his journey in life and practising Buddhism. It makes you want to get out there and follow what you believe in. The Bums sense of freedom is so inspiring. They live off next to nothing yet they still travel across America and to Japan, they simply make it happen and they're truly happy. It's a sense of freedom I desire to have, just being able to pick up my things and go, anywhere and everywhere. Responsibilities slim to none. It really makes you think about what is actually important in life, what you really need and what are just additions.What is worth getting hot and bothered over. Instead focusing on your happiness and being utterly selfish. It also touched a nerve at the end (I won't spoil it) but goodbyes are hard, Kerouac certainly put that point across. Making strong, real connections with people and then having to bury it deep in your heart and say goodbye to that chapter of your life. Something that everyone will feel at some point in their lives and something I have coming up in the next year or so as I set off, travelling the world. 

The first book I have read for 2015 and by far one of my favourites. I highly recommend it to anyone. It is certainly full of inspiration and motivation to go after what you truly want.


No comments:

Post a Comment